Ozone Treatment is a great treatment option for Diseases
Dr. Dalal Akoury: AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center discuss WHAT IS Ozone treatment? Ozone Treatment is a great treatment option for Diseases
Ozone treatment, Oxygen Therapy Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
The chemical gas Ozone was first discovered in 1840, but it was not until the First World War when Ozone gas mixtures were employed by German surgeons to heal wounds and fistulae that the medical application of Ozone treatment actually began. It was later also found to be an excellent de-odorizor, which considering the time of almost 100 years ago, was an amazing benefit in itself. Before the era of modern surgery and medicine one of the most troublesome problems for primitive medicine was the “ichorous stench” of many large cancers and infected, gangrenous wounds. The clinical application of Ozone/Oxygen mixtures rapidly and effectively solved this vexing problem. Technically, medical Ozone treatment is a form of Bio Oxidation therapy, but since Ozone has such special properties it is commonly discussed separately. Ozone was subsequently applied to improving the air quality within and around municipal slaughter-houses in Europe and is still the main and preferred method for water purification in many European countries. It is preferred because the residue left in the drinking water does not have the toxicity or cancer causing properties of the chlorine compounds used in the U.S. Since its slow beginnings, steady progress has been made in understanding the chemical properties, various medical applications and potential human and environmental toxicity of Ozone gas mixtures.1 Today it is medically applied using several techniques and in varying, but very low concentrations. At the beginning of this new millennium (2001) there are active Medical Ozone Societies in Germany, Russia, Austria, Switzerland, Holland and a growing International Ozone Society that includes a number of European trained and certified American physicians currently employing Medical Ozone in the United States.
Ozone Treatment is a great treatment option for Diseases
Dr. Dalal Akoury: AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center explain: IS OZONE TOXIC? Ozone is one chemical form or “allotrop” of Oxygen. Molecular Oxygen consists of two atoms of Oxygen (O + O) forming one di-atomic molecule of Oxygen (O2). Ozone consists of three atoms of Oxygen, which form the tri-atomic molecule of Ozone (O3). While it is true that Ozone can be toxic, it is also just as true that Ozone is essential for life on earth. The high altitude Ozone layer, scientifically called the Ozonosphere, actually protects us from the toxic effects of cancer causing high energy ultraviolet light from the sun. In modern society this layer is being seriously depleted due to environmental air pollution, with a resultant increase in the incidence of skin cancers, cataracts, lung diseases and immune deficiency-dysregulation diseases. Interestingly, it is because the Ozonosphere is being depleted that we are seeing more Ozone show up in air pollution closer to the ground.
The higher energy Ultraviolet sunlight passing through the now defective high altitude Ozonosphere causes atmospheric oxygen to react with man-made nitric oxides from fossil fuels and this leads to the production of toxic levels of Ozone in the air we breathe. Thus, the amount of Ozone in our air is actually a measure of the overall degree of other pollutants, but not really a cause of pollution in itself.
Like anything used in medicine, Ozone has both beneficial and potential toxic effects. The common question about Ozone toxicity usually has to do with inhaling excessive Ozone gas. Ozone gas is NEVER used for inhalation in medical therapy! In fact, very specific and strict avoidance of any inhalation of Ozone is practiced when Medical Ozone/Oxygen therapy is used. In reality, when Ozone is used medically it is actually administered as a gas mixture of Ozone and Oxygen. Ozone concentrations used in the medical mixture are delivered in the microgram (Homeopathic or thousandths of a milligram) range, depending on the specific clinical effect desired. Thus, the toxicity of modern Medical Ozone treatment is usually limited to minor irritation or pain at the injection site (see below).
Ozone Treatment is a great treatment option for Diseases, Dr. Dalal Akoury Describes several methods of Ozone administration.
Dr. Dalal Akoury: AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center describes SEVERAL METHODS OF OZONE ADMINISTRATION. Medical Ozone/Oxygen gas mixture can be applied directly to the target infected tissue using a protective covering. In addition, it can be carefully mixed with a specific amount of blood previously withdrawn from the body and then re-infused (German method), injected intramuscularly or dissolved in a dextrose-in-water carrier solution and infused by intravenous feeding (Russian method). Using either a moderate volume of the patient’s own blood (100 to 250 cc’s or 3 to 8 ounces) or an intravenous feeding of an Ozone/Oxygen infused carrier solution of dextrose-in-sterile water is referred to as “Major Auto-Hemotherapy.” Intramuscular injection of 2 to 10 cc’s of the patient’s own blood mixed with Ozone/Oxygen is referred to a “Minor Auto-Hemotherapy.” Medical Ozone/Oxygen therapy can also be administered by rectal insufflation or as a topical ointment in olive oil. Each of these specific methods has it’s own proper clinical application, benefits, drawbacks and cost. The specific method of administration chosen for any particular patient is based on the particular condition being treated, desired effects and other unique, individual factors.
Ozone Treatment is a great treatment option for Diseases, Dr. Akoury explains how Ozone treatment works
Dr. Dalal Akoury: AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center explain HOW DOES IT WORK? Medical Ozone directly stimulates oxidative metabolism within cells and organelles inside the cells. In addition, it directly increases the production of energy by increasing cellular ATP production by up to 40%. It also directly enhances anti-oxidant defenses, stimulates oxidative decarboxylation, improves blood lipid (cholesterol) levels, increases blood oxygen levels, improves tissue oxygen extraction, oxygen utilization and enhances oxidative detoxification of biological and chemical pollutants. Clinically Medical Ozone/Oxygen therapy has also been shown to:
Ozone Treatment is a great treatment option for Diseases because it
- improves cytokine production by immune cells;1-4,9,12
- disinfects and sterilize infected wounds and gangrene;1,9
- improved tissue oxygenation due to the increase in 2,3 DPG (diphosphglycerate) in red cells shifting the oxygen-hemoglobin dissociation curve in favor of releasing the oxygen to the tissues;1,9
- improves cancer immune surveillance and help with cancer (adjuvant) therapy;
- improves bone density in osteoporosis;1,5
- stimulate cellular immune function;1,4,9,12
- modulate excessive humoral (antibody) activity in rheumatic and inflammatory diseases;1,9
- kill the HIV and other viruses;1,6,9
- provide important ant-inflammatory activity;1,9and
- improve wound healing.1,9,10
Ozone Treatment is a great treatment option for Diseases, Dr. Dalal Akoury discusses condtions best treated with ozone.
WHAT CONDITIONS CAN Ozone treatment BE USEFUL FOR?
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Cerebral (Brain) Vascular Disease
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Diabetes Vascular Disorders
- Acute and Chronic Wound Infections
- Chronic Viral Infections
- Parasitic Infections
- Chronic Unresponsive Bacterial Infections
- Chronic Yeast Infections
- Chronic Osteomyelitis
- Chronic Cystitis
- Chronic Skin Ulcers
- Acute and Chronic Viral Hepatitis
- Chronic Fatigue-Immune Deficiency Syndrome (CFIDS)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Connective Tissue Diseases
- Radiation Therapy
- Immune Stimulation
- Anal Eczema/Fissures
- Rheumatic Conditions
- Hepatitis, Acute and Chronic
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
- Alzheimer-Like Senile Dementia
- Anti-Aging Immune Stimulation
- Cerebral Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Geriatric Conditions
- Veterinary Medicine
- Wound Healing
Ozone Treatment is a great treatment option for Diseases, Dr. Akoury discusses the safety ozone treatment
WHAT ABOUT SAFETY AND SIDE EFFECTS? The safety of Medical Ozone has been studied extensively in the past ninety years by the Germans, Russians and other European Ozone Societies. With proper training and credentials and used in appropriate conditions, the modern use of Ozone treatment is extremely safe. In the past when the gas was directly administered into a vein or artery rare cases of gas embolism or “air bubble embolus” occurred and was related to stroke, heart attack and other acute vascular accidents. Since this method has been abandoned over the past 30 years safety of properly prepared Medical Ozone treatment has been limited to occasional temporary local vein and/or tissue irritation, reduction of blood B-vitamin levels (20%) and red blood cell hemolysis if too large a concentration is applied to extra-corporeal (outside-the-body) blood Ozonation (German method). Dr. Edwards of Bio Health Center was trained in Germany and is certified in all methods of Ozone administration, as well as being a member of the International Ozone Association (IOA). Despite his original German training and due to the greater simplicity, ease of administration, safety and avoidance of direct exposure to blood, the Russian method of intravenous Ozone treatment administration is used exclusively for all major auto-hemotherapy applications at Bio Health Center. Direct application of Ozone/Oxygen gas mixtures to infected and/or poorly healing wounds, dermal application of Ozoned Olive Oil and intramuscular minor auto-hemotherapy are also regularly used on an individualized basis. Ozone is one of the major forms of Bio Oxidation therapy used by at Bio Health Center.
Ozone Treatment is a great treatment option for Diseases; Dr. Akoury discusses the cost of Ozone treatment
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST. The expense of any medical therapy usually depends more on the type of illness being treated than on the method of therapy being used. More complicated illnesses usually require more intensive and prolonged therapy than do less ill patients. In addition, in today’s legally regulated medical care system more testing is required to maintain quality and legal standards of care than in the past. In fact, much of today’s high medical costs are directly related to mandated quality and legal standards of care rather than to the actual treatment itself. Due to this, if you have specific questions or concerns about cost please discuss these with the practitioners before consenting to undergo therapy. It is the policy of Bio Health Center to discuss ALL costs of therapy before treatment with any patient who wishes such information. A listing of charges for most services, including most types of Ozone treatment, can also be obtained from the office staff, but these may not pertain to any specific patient due to individuation of patient treatment.
Ozone Treatment is a great treatment option for Diseases; Does Insurance cover Ozone Treatment
DOES INSURANCE COVER OZONE Treatment? This really depends on the specific terms of the insurance (legal) contract. Generally, insurance companies will NOT pay for medical care which they decide to classify as not usual and customary. In addition, all managed care is just that, financially managed to lower insurer costs! In such circumstances you must look in you “benefits” package to determine what procedures and which physicians are covered. Due to our concern over the ethics of such arrangements, Dr. Edwards and Bio Health Center do NOT participate in any managed care organizations. It should therefore be assumed that Medical Ozone treatment will NOT be covered by private insurance or managed care programs. Check with your insurer, health benefits manager or agent for the specifics of your particular coverage plan. Medicare™ and other public entitlement programs DO NOT cover Medical Ozone treatment.
1. Viebahn Renate. The Use of Ozone in Medicine, 2nd revised edition. 1987. Karl F. Haug Publishers GmbH & Co. Heidleberg, Germany.
2. Bocci V and Paulson L. Studies on the Biological Effects of Ozone: 1. Induction of Interferon a on Human Leukocytes. Heamatologica. 1990;75:510-515.
3. Bocci V, Paulson L, Luzzi E. Studies on the Biological Effects of Ozone: 2. Induction of Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF-a) on Human Leukocytes. Lymphokine and Cytokine Research. 1991;10:409-412.
4. Bocci V. Ozonation of Blood for the Therapy of Viral Diseases and Immunodeficiencies. A Hypothesis. Medical Hypothesis. 1992;39:30-34.
5. Riva-Sanseverino E. The Influence of Ozone treatment on the Remineralization of Bone Tissue in Osteoporosis. Ozonachrichten. 1987;6:75-82.
6. Freeberg Jk and Carpendale MT. Ozone Inactivates Extracellular Human Immunodeficinecy Virus at Non-Cytotoxic Concentrations. OzoNachrichten. 1988;7:14-20.
7. Sweet F, Kao MS and Lee S -Ch.D Ozone Selectively Inhibits Growth of Human cancer Cells. Science. 1958;208:931.
8. Tietz Ch. Ozontherapie als Adjuvans in der Onkologie. OzoNachrichen. 1983;2:4.
9. Viebahn R. The Biochemical Processes Underlying Ozone treatment. Ozone: Sci. Eng. 1985;7:275-285.
10. Viebahn R. The Efficacy of Medical Ozone in Improving Circulation: Biochemical Aspects. International Ozone Association Congress, September 9-12, 1985. Tokyo
11. Washüttl J, Viebahn R, and Steiner I. The Influence of Ozone on Tumor Tissue in Comparison with Healthy Tissue (in vitro). Ozone. Sci. Eng. 1990;12:318.
12. Zanker T and Kurt S. Differential Effects of Ozone on Human Tumor and Human Immune Competent Cells. 2nd International Conference on Anticarcinogenesis and Radiation Protection – Abstracts- National Bureau of Standards. March 8-12, 1987. Gaithersburg, Maryland, U.S.A.
13. Additional references may be obtained for the Internation Ozone Association, Cie Int. Bruxelloise des Eaux, Rue Aux Laines 70, B-1000 Brussels